For years, as an entrepreneur I talked a good talk about what I would achieve. The trips, the advantages for friends and family, as I surpassed their wildest imaginings of my success. I always fell short, or sometimes never left the starting gate at all. How come? What left me unwilling to follow the model of those that succeeded ahead of me? I was frustrated, embarrassed, and doubted myself completely. Things didn’t change until I realized the truth of my ‘Why’ – discovered my real why, the one most mothers would think was ‘dirty’ or worse, ‘not nice’. Can you relate to some of these ‘Why’s?
- I want to help people
- I want to support my family
- I want to change the world and make it a better place
- I want to make a difference
Wrong! These are great and noble things to do with your success. They look great on a website or when speaking with friends.
They will not get you out of bed in the morning, they will not move you out of your little box and into the place of discomfort that an entrepreneur needs to embrace and live in.
Your ‘Why’ needs to be about you. That’s right – YOU. It needs to be selfish, egotistical, self-centered, self-interested… all the things you were taught not to be. All the things you were taught were shameful. Oops!
So now what? Own it. That’s what. Grab a cup of tea, find a comfy spot and listen to your inner voice. See just what you really do care about down inside where your motivation begins. Own your ‘Why’! Is it a need for
- Satisfaction that comes from leadership?
- Proof you can support yourself?
When that inner piece of you is honoured, and more importantly -fed often – your success will grow. Then you can do all of those other things that make you feel good too. Those things that only success (i.e. cashflow) will allow you do for others
- Sending parents on an all inclusive trip to Maui for their anniversary
- Buy a cottage in Muskoka and invite friends and family often to enjoy the view
- Taking your kids and their friends to Disney Land while they are young enough to truly enjoy the wonder.
- Be the lead supporter of your favourite charity
Join the ranks of successful entrepreneurs. Get down and dirty with your ‘Why’. Own it and you will have the drive and energy to learn, grow, and soar with us!